Please take time to read this... !!!very important!!!

Potty Training Older Dogs

Dog Potty Training older dogs proved to be more difficult than training a puppy. I have a 2 year old regular breed male shih Tzu, I named him Bruno. He is adorable and nice to be with. But the biggest problem I had with Bruno was that I never did a dog potty training when he was still a puppy. I never had the luxury of time to teach him. He always chose to unload in almost every corners and areas where he pleased to. After a year of cleaning and looking for Bruno's mess, I finally told myself that I have to do something with this or I'll spend the rest of my life living inside a bathroom.

I started to check out the net for some steps and ideas on how to do a dog potty training for older dogs. I found out that it's somehow difficult to do potty training on older dogs compared to puppies. Once a dog has a habit just like humans it takes a long time for it to go away. A big amount of patience is the key in doing dog potty training older dogs.

Few months ago I took a month vacation and for the reason only of having to do a dog potty training on Bruno. What I did first was to select a spot or a corner outside my house where I would want Bruno to pee or poop. Every time Bruno wakes up and after his meals I immediately brought him outside to the chosen spot. These are times when dogs would want to unload, right after their nap. After he did his "thing" on the spot that I chose, I did not have him back to the house immediately. I spent some time with him outside, took him for a walk and played with him. For sometime I did not clean the spot where I did potty training on him so that every time I would be bringing him outside he will remember the chosen spot because of the familiar scent of his own pee and poop. In case you don't know dogs are territorial and would usually unload to an area where there is a scent familiar to his. In connection with this I cleaned thoroughly the are inside my house where he accidentally unloaded his dirt so that there will be a minimal chance that he's going back to that spot.

I had Bruno's last meal at 7:00pm so that he won't urinate or poop during sleeping hours. For a month of patiently doing the above mentioned steps on dog potty training, I was glad that Bruno learned to unload at the chosen spot outside my house. My house is no bathroom anymore. Lastly to be effective on my dog potty training on Bruno and leaving him to pee and poop outside all by himself, I had my backdoor changed. I have a door installed with a mini door for Bruno so that he could just go outside whenever he wants to.

A lot of patience is needed for us to succeed in potty training our dogs . I suggest you should have one. Have fun on dog potty training.

3 comments:

dogs groomers said...

wow... find it interesting... hope it'll be beneficial for me and my friends...

Anonymous said...

I adopted a 4 year old mini doberman pincher. She is relatively good about not peeing and pooping when I am home. She would use the potty before I would leave my house but when I come home and she had pooped and pee just about everywhere. I don"t understand why she does it when I'm gone when she usual doesn't do it when I'm home. How do I train her not to pop and pee when I'm gone? I don't want to look her in the bathroom or in a cage. Do you think you can help me??

Anonymous said...

I have a 8 year old shitzu and he won't listen to me when I tell him to pee n poo on his newspaper n I got him when he was 7 years so I only had him for 1 year so what do I do cause he wont listen to me